Saltney, a village and a township in Hawarden parish, Flintshire. The village stands on the river Dee, at the boundary with Cheshire, 2 miles SW of Chester. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chester, and a station on the G.W.R. The township includes Queen's Ferry, Sandcroft, and parts of Bretton and Pentre. Acreage, 2302; population, 2675. There are railway carriage works, ironworks, candle-works, manure-works, and brickworks. Saltney forms part of the ecclesiastical parish of Lache-with-Saltney. A new church, dedicated to St Mark, was built in 1893 to replace the former church. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Great Boughton (1837-1869)|
|Registration district||Chester (1870-1902)|
|Registration district||Hawarden (1903-1910)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Saltney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: