Northop or North Hope, Flintshire
Northop or North Hope, a village, a township, and a parish in Flintshire. The village stands near Wats Dyke, under the Halkin Mountains, 3 miles S of Flint, and 3 N of Mold. It is a pretty place, is called Llaneurgain by the Welsh, and has a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Mold. Letters sent to Northop should be addressed " Northop via Flint;" parcels via Mold. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. The parish contains also the townships of Caerfallwch, Golftyn, Wepre, Kelsterton, Soughton, Leadbrook Major, and Leadbrook Minor, and extends to the estuary of the Dee. Acreage, 10.660 of land and 15 of water, with 152 of adjacent tidal water and 2186 of foreshore; population of the civil parish, 5105; of the ecclesiastical, 1471. It includes the ecclesiastical parishes of Connah's Quay (constituted 1844, population 2477) and Caerfallwch (constituted 1876, population 791), and part of the ecclesiastical parish of Rhydymwyn. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members, Northop having five members, Connah's Quay seven, Caerfallwch three. Wepse Hall, Helsterton, Farfield, Soughton Hall, Soughton House, Lower Soughton, Wern Hall, Highfield Hall, and Plas Bellin are chief residences. There are lead mines, collieries, potteries, and tile-works, and a railway connects the chief of them with the seaport village of Connah's Quay. The lead mines are supposed to have been worked by the Romans. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is a noble Perpendicular edifice, handsomely restored in the interior; has a tower of five stages, 98 feet high, commanding a fine view; and contains some carving of the llth century and stone effigies of Edwyn, a Welsh prince of the 11th century, Ithel Fychan ap Bleddyn, a knight of the 14th century, and Lleuci Llwyd, a lady famous for beauty in the 15th century. There are Calvinistic and Primitive Methodist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: