Newmarket, a village and a parish in Flintshire. The village stands near Offa's Dyke, 3 miles SE of Prestatyn station on the L. & N.W.R., and 7 NW of Holywell; was once a market-town, and has a post office under Rhuddlan (R.S.O.); money order office, Dyserth; telegraph office, Prestatyn. The parish comprises 1075 acres; population, 383. A very large tumulus, the highest in the country, covering more than an acre, is at the Gop, and is supposed to have been erected for a burial-place to Queen Boadicea of the Britons. The summit of the tumulus is called the " Clip of the Gop." There is a most interesting cave on the side of The hill a little below the tumulus. A carved pillar is at Maen Achwynfan, and many barrows are on the heights. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is ancient, with a fine stained glass window, and the churchyard contains a richly ornamented cross of the 13th century. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Holywell (1837-1974)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: