Nannerch, a township in Flintshire and a parish partly also in Denbighshire. The township lies under Moel Arthur, 6 miles WSW of Flint, and has a station on the Chester and Denbigh branch of the L. & N.W.R. and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Mold. The parish contains also the townships of Llan, Cwm, and Trefechan in Flintshire, and the township of Penbedw in Denbighshire. Acreage, 2875; population, 293. Penbedw Hall belonged formerly to the Mostyns, was long noted for a rich old library containing a collection of illuminated books, and stands in grounds which have a Druidical circle and a tumulus. Limestone has been quarried, and lead and iron ores have been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph, commuted value, £327 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church is good, and contains a monument of the wife of Mr. R. Mostyn, grand-daughter of Sir Kenelm Digby. There are four stained-glass windows which are much admired.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Holywell (1837-1974)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Nannerch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: