Llanasa or Llanasaph, Flintshire
Llanasa or Llanasaph, a parish in Flintshire, on the estuary of the Dee at its mouth, on Offa's Dyke, 3¼ miles W of Mostyn station on the Chester and Holyhead section of the L. & N.W.K., and 6½ NW by N of Holywell. It has a post and money order office under Holywell; telegraph office, Mostyn. It includes the townships of Axton, Golden Grove Trelogan, Gronant, Gwespyr,Picton,Trelogan, and Trewaelod. Acreage, 6311 of land and 4849 of water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 2619; of the ecclesiastical, 1591; of the ecclesiastical parish of Ffynongroyw, 1028. Talacre, Gyrn, and Golden Grove are the chief residences. Llanasa Hill or Gorseddau has an altitude of about 700 feet, and is crowned by a signal tower. A valuable freestone is quarried at Gwespyr, and small round stones are made for sharpening tools. Coal, iron ore, and lead ore, are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. The church was rebuilt in 1737, has windows of stained glass said to have been brought from Basingwerk Abbey, and contains several old monuments. The living of Ffynongroyw is a separate benefice. There are Roman Catholic, Congregational, Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. The Rev. H. Parry, the friend of Pennant, was vicar.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: