Halkin, Flintshire

Historical Description

Halkin, a village and a parish in Flintshire. The village stands under Halkin Mountain, 2½ miles SW of Flint, and 3½ SE of Holywell, and has a post and money order office under Holywell; telegraph office, Flint The parish includes the townships of Hendre Figillt, Lugyn-y-Llan, and Lugyn-y-Wem. Acreage, 3408; population of the civil parish, 1356; of the ecclesiastical, 927. Halkin Castle, built in 1827, is a seat of the Duke of Westminster. Halkin Mountain commands fine views, has at its south end an ancient British camp, and is there 1020 feet high. The rocks abound in mineral wealth, principally lead ore, calamine, coal, limestone, and potter's clay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; gross value,, £296 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is good. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Calvinistic Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: