Gwaenysgor, a village, a township, and a parish in Flintshire, near the coast, 1½ mile SE of Prestatyn station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6 miles E of Rhyl. The parish includes the townships of Hwylbren, Garnedd, and Llan, and its post town is Rhyddlan (R.S.O.), under Rhyl. Acreage, 817; population, 188. The surface is hilly, and the rocks include lead ore. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £112 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Holywell (1837-1974)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Gwaenysgor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: