Ewloe Town and Ewloe Wood, Flintshire

Historical Description

Ewloe Town and Ewloe Wood, two townships in Haw-arden parish, Flintshire, 2 miles NW of Hawarden. Ewloe Castle is of great but unknown antiquity, was described, three centuries ago, by Leiand, as "a ruinous castelet or pile," stands in a deep wooded dingle, commanding three wooded glens, and comprises two parts-an oblong tower, rounded at the sides, and defended by a strong wall, and an oblong court, with remains of a circular tower. A large detachment of Henry II.'s army was surprised and defeated in Ewloe Wood, or Coed-Euloe, in 1157, by the sons of Owain Gwnedd.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: