Downing, a seat on the Dee seaboard of Flintshire, 1 mile SW of Mostyn railway station, and 3 miles NNW of Holywell. It belonged to the Pennants, was the birthplace and residence of Thomas Pennant the antiquary and naturalist, and passed by marriage with the antiquary's granddaughter to Viscount Feilding. It was built in 1627, has the form of the letter H, contains Pennant's library and museum, and stands amid luxuriant trees.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Downing are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: