Caerwys, a village and a parish in Flintshire. The village stands 5 miles SW by W of Holywell, and 6 E of St Asaph, and has a station on the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Holywell. It is thought to occupy the site of a Roman station; it was the scene of the court of the last Prince Llewellyn; it witnessed Eisteddfodau, or congresses of bards and minstrels, at various periods till 1798; was formerly a market-town, and it unites with Flint and other places in sending a member to parliament. It comprises four streets, crossing each other in the centre; and has a town-hall, a church, and Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. Great cattle fairs are held here periodically. The parish includes also the townships of Bryngwyn-Issa and Bryngwyn-Ucha. Acreage, 2737; population, 765. The manor belongs to Lord Mostyn. Maes-Mynam, the site of the residence of Prince Llewellyn, is SW of the town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; gross value, £344 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Asaph. Lloyd, the friend of Pennant, was vicar, and Bishop Wynne was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Holywell (1837-1974)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Caerwys are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: