Bodelwyddan, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of St Asaph, Flintshire, on the verge of the county, 2½ miles SW of Rhuddlan station on the L. & N.W.R., 3 NW of St Asaph, and 5½ SW of Rhyl, with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Rhuddlan (R.S.O.) The manor belonged at one time to the family of Humphries, and was purchased from them in the time of Charles II. by Speaker Sir William Williams. The present mansion, Bodelwyddan Park, the seat of the Williams family, is a beautiful castellated edifice amid tasteful grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £700 with residence. The church was built in 1856-60, by the Dowager Lady Willoughby de Broke as a memorial of her husband; stands on a conspicuous site; is a richly ornate structure in the Decorated style; comprises a nave of 66 feet, a chancel of 42½ feet, an octagonal vestry, and a tower and spire 202 feet high, and is said to have cost £60,000. The interior is elaborately adorned with rich carving, marbles, and stained glass, and contains an exquisitely carved oak pulpit, and a font of white Carrara marble.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||St. Asaph (1896-1974)|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: