Bangor Iscoed, or Bangor Monachorum, Flintshire

Historical Description

Bangor-Iscoed, or Bangor-Monachorum, a village in Flintshire, and a parish partly also in Denbighshire. The village lies on the river Dee, in an open fertile country, 5½ miles SE of Wrexham. It has a post office, of the name of Bangor-Is-y-Coed, under Wrexham, and a bridge of five arches on the Dee. It was the Roman Banchorium or Bovium, and the Saxon Bancomaburg, and it anciently had a large monastery, said to have been founded previous to the year 180, by Lucius, son of Coel, the first Christian king of Britain. The monks increased in number to 2400, of whom 1200 were massacred in 607 by King Ethelfrith of Northumbria. 'Gildas Nennius, who lived in the 7th century, and wrote a history of Britain which is still extant, was one of the abbots. The ruins of many churches and of other extensive buildings are described by William of Malmesbury as existing soon after the Conquest; but these, and all other traces of the ancient monastery, have long ago disappeared. The parish includes also the townships of Eyton, Royton, Pickhill, and Sesswick. Acreage, 2124; population, 554. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £381 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Westminster. The church, which dates from the 14th century, has been restored, and contains an ancient octagonal font.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Flintshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: