Navestock (St. Thomas the Apostle)
NAVESTOCK (St. Thomas the Apostle), a parish, in the union and hundred of Ongar, S. division of Essex, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Romford; containing 887 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4500 acres of land, diversified with hill and dale; the soil on the hills is generally light and gravelly, and in the low lands wet and heavy. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 3. 9., and in the gift of Trinity College, Oxford: the vicar's tithes have been commuted for £570, and those of the college for a like amount; the glebe comprises 19 acres. The church, a small ancient edifice, is ornamented with a belfry tower of wood surmounted by a shingled spire, and has a north doorway with a semicircular arch of Norman character; many of the Waldegraves have been interred here. A school is supported by Earl Waldegrave, whose family became possessed of the manor nearly 300 years since. On a common are some remains of a fortification, near which is an embankment of considerable height, defended on each side by a moat.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.