Muskham, South (St. Wilfrid)
MUSKHAM, SOUTH (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Southwell, N. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 2¼ miles (N.) from Newark; containing 262 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east and south by the river Trent, which is crossed by a bridge leading towards Newark; it comprises 2467a. 2r., and the soil is fertile. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4; patron, the Prebendary of South Muskham in the Collegiate Church of Southwell. The great tithes have been commuted for £677. 4. 3., and the vicarial for £139. 10.; the rectorial glebe comprises 141 acres, and the vicarial three. The church is a neat structure in the early English style.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.