Mottiston (St. Peter and St. Paul)
MOTTISTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 9 miles (W. S. W.) from Newport; containing 176 inhabitants. It comprises 1140 acres, of which 52 are common or waste. The village is beautifully situated in the south-western part of the island, on the road which runs along the coast; and commands extensive views of the adjacent country, and the English Channel. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Shorwell united, valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 3.; patron, the Rev. Ebenezer Robertson. The tithes of Mottiston have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 42 acres. The church is principally in the later English style.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.