Morvill (St. George)
MORVILL (St. George), a parish, in the union of Bridgnorth, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Bridgnorth; containing, with the chapelry of Aston-Eyre, 542 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £204; patron and impropriator, Lord Sudeley. The tithes of Morvill were commuted for land in 1773. The church is chiefly a Norman structure of the 12th century; it consists of a nave and north and south aisles of that period, and a chancel of the 17th century. The arch dividing the chancel from the nave has an elaborately carved moulding; and the capitals of the shafts supporting the arches that divide the nave from the aisles, are enriched with foliage of fine workmanship: the original font, which is bell-shaped, still remains. At Aston-Eyre is a chapel of ease. A benefaction of £20 per annum, arising from property bequeathed by Thomas Burte, in 1631, is regularly distributed, one moiety to the minister for preaching twelve sermons, and the other moiety to the poor. In the church was originally a society of Secular canons, and subsequently one of Benedictine monks.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.