MORTON-GRANGE, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 6 miles (N. E. by N.) from Durham; containing 185 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged to the family of Belasyse, to whom Cardinal Wolsey, in 1525, granted a lease of the manor and grange, and of whom was Sir William Belasyse, Knt., of Morton, high sheriff of the county under the see of Durham from 1628 until his death in 1641. The family were remarkable for their loyalty, and suffered much in the civil war. The township lies in the vale of Houghton, and comprises 505a. 1r. 20p., of which 300 acres are arable, 192 grass, 3 wood, and 10 waste. The Durham and Sunderland railway attains its highest elevation at this place, where is a fixed engine of seventy-horse power to work the trains of wagons over an inclined plane 2427 yards in length; the Haswell and Durham branches, also, diverge here, the former connecting Morton with the Hartlepool railway, and the latter proceeding to Sherburn.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.