Moreton-Valence (St. Stephen)
MORETON-VALENCE (St. Stephen), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Upper division of the hundred of Whitstone, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 7¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Stroud; containing 344 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 1000 acres, is bounded on the north-west by the river Severn, and the Gloucester and Berkeley canal passes through it. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £355, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a neat ancient structure.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.