Moreton Sea or Say (St. Margaret)
MORETON SEA or SAY (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Drayton, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop, 3¼ miles (W.) from Drayton; containing 770 inhabitants, of whom 262 are in the township. The parish comprises 4804a. 1r. 30p. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Rector of Hodnet: the appropriate tithes have been commuted for £550, and the incumbent's for £89. 13.; the glebe comprises 48 acres. The church contains a monument to a member of the Vernon family, whose ancient mansion in the parish is now a farmhouse; the first lord Clive was interred here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.