Moreton, North (All Saints)
MORETON, NORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union and parliamentary borough of Wallingford, hundred of Moreton, county of Berks, 4¼ miles (W.) from Wallingford; containing 397 inhabitants. It comprises 1037 acres, of which 730 are arable, 257 pasture, and about 50 orchard and garden. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 17. 8.; net income, £83; patron, the Archdeacon of Berks; impropriator, J. T. Wasey, Esq. In the south aisle of the church, called Stapleton's chantry chapel, founded before 1467, are two old tombs of ecclesiastics, with processional crosses; also two ancient mutilated tombs, with Saxon inscriptions.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.