Moorlinch (St. Mary)
MOORLINCH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of Whitley, W. division of the county of Somerset, 7 miles (E.) from Bridgwater; containing 2281 inhabitants, of whom 331 are in the hamlet. This parish, which is situated on the Bath and Exeter road, comprises by measurement 1083 acres; the substratum consists of a blue and white lias, of excellent quality for building, and well adapted for mantel-pieces and other ornamental uses. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £440; patron and incumbent, the Rev. R. J. Luscombe; impropriators, Mr. Gould, Mr. Sherston, and the Rev. Mr. Baker. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style. At Stawell and Sutton-Mallet are chapels of ease, of similar character; and at Burtle, Catcott, and Chilton-on-Poldon with Edington, are separate incumbencies: the living of Burtle is in the gift of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, with an income of £50. There are places of worship for Independents. A cell to the abbey of Glastonbury was maintained here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.