DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Monkton-Farley (St. Peter)

MONKTON-FARLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bradford, Westbury and N. divisions, and Trowbridge and Bradford subdivisions, of Wilts, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Bradford; containing 435 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 15. 2½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury, with a net income of £169; there are 35 acres of glebe. Some remains exist of a convent of Cluniac monks, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, which was founded about 1125, as a cell to the priory of Lewes, and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £217. 0. 4. A silver seal of exquisite workmanship, supposed to be that of the last abbot, was lately discovered near the convent.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement