Monksilver (All Saints)
MONKSILVER (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 10 miles (S. E.) from Minehead; containing, with the hamlet of Woodford, 308 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by admeasurement 1000 acres, is situated in a narrow vale, remarkable for its fertility. The meadows are exceedingly rich, from the facility of irrigating them, at all seasons of the year, with water which brings with it down the declivities a considerable quantity of the upland soil. A stone-quarry here affords good materials for repairing roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 1½., and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor: the tithes have been commuted for £210, and the glebe comprises 35 acres; a glebe-house was built in 1838. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.