Barrington, Great (St. Mary)
BARRINGTON, GREAT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3¼ miles (N. W.) from Burford; containing 553 inhabitants. It comprises about 1700 acres; the soil is partly stiff clay and partly light earth, and the parish abounds with freestone of excellent quality, which is extensively wrought, and from quarries of which was obtained stone for the erection of Blenheim House, and the repairs of Westminster Abbey. The Windrush, a branch of the Thames, runs through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 6. 8., and in the gift of Lord Dynevor, whose seat of Barrington Park is situated in the parish: the great tithes, payable to his lordship, have been commuted for £213. 15., and those of the incumbent for £195. 16., with a glebe of 42 acres. The church is a handsome edifice, in the later English style, with an embattled tower.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.