Milton-Abbot (St. Constantine)
MILTON-ABBOT (St. Constantine), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tavistock, Tavistock and S. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Tavistock; containing 1256 inhabitants. In this parish, which is watered by the river Tamar, is the Anglo-Swiss domain of the Duke of Bedford, distinguished for its beautiful scenery and landscape gardening. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £19. 13. 6½.; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Bedford. The great tithes have been commuted for £384, and the vicarial for £416; the glebe comprises 62 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.