UK Genealogy Archives logo

Milton

MILTON, a hamlet, in the parish of West Markham, union of East Retford, South Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, ½ a mile (N. W.) of the village of Markham; containing 73 inhabitants. This place, called also Milneton, stands on an eminence on the east bank of the Idle river, and derives its name from an ancient mill which long since disappeared.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.