Milton (St. Blaise)
MILTON (St. Blaise), a parish, in the union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Abingdon; containing 466 inhabitants. It comprises 1442a. 15p., of which 979 acres are arable, 366 pasture, and 57 woodland; the surface is hilly towards the north, and more level towards the south. The manor-house was built by Inigo Jones. The Great Western railway passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 9. 7., and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The Rev. J. G. Warner, late rector, gave about £60 per annum for education.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.