Barnwood (St. Lawrence)
BARNWOOD (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the Upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, union, and E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 1½ mile (E. S. E.) from Gloucester; containing 383 inhabitants. The road from Gloucester to Cirencester, and the Bristol and Birmingham railway, pass through the parish, which is also intersected by the Roman Fosse-way. The living is a vicarage, not in charge; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The great tithes have been commuted for £350, and the vicarial for £176; the glebe comprises nearly half an acre.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.