MIDDLETON-by-Wirksworth, a hamlet, in the parish and hundred of Wirksworth, union of Bakewell, S. division of the county of Derby, 1¼ mile (N. N. W.) from Wirksworth; containing 1031 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1000 acres of land, and has a considerable village, but in a bleak situation, and principally inhabited by miners. There are several quarries of excellent marble, of which great quantities are sent by the High-Peak railway to Cromford, and thence by canal to the celebrated marble-works at Buckland Hollow. A chapel of ease was built in 1844, having 400 sittings, 360 of which are free.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.