Meppershall (St. Mary)
MEPPERSHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Biggleswade, hundred of Clifton, county of Bedford, 6 miles (S. W. by S.) from Biggleswade; containing 487 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1900 acres. The platting of straw is carried on to some extent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22; net income, £500; patrons, the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge: the glebe comprises 90 acres, with a house. The church, a neat structure in the early English style, has some Norman details, of which the north entrance is a handsome specimen. A school is endowed with £15 per annum. Attached to the principal farm, and now used as a barn, are the remains of an ancient chapel with an enriched Norman doorway, and some good windows of later date.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.