Membury (St. John the Baptist)
MEMBURY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union and hundred of Axminster, Honiton and S. divisions of Devon, 3½ miles (N. N. W.) from Axminster; containing 886 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 4210 acres. A cattle-fair is held on August 10th. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Axminster: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £265, and the vicarial for £336. The church contains a monument to the memory of Sir S. Calmady, who was mortally wounded at the siege of Ford House, during the great civil war. In the neighbourhood is an ancient encampment, formed by a single vallum, inclosing two acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.