MELKRIDGE, a township, in the parish and union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2 miles (E.) from Haltwhistle; containing 290 inhabitants. It belonged at an early period to the Ridleys, of whom Sir Nicholas Ridley was proprietor in the 16th century; the chief estate afterwards came to the Nevilles, of Chevet, and from them passed to the Blacketts, the present owners. The Tyne bounds the township on the south for about two miles; the surface is undulated, and mountainous towards the north, where runs the Roman wall, of which some portions are visible. There is a small land-sale colliery, the property of Sir Edward Blackett, Bart.; good freestone is quarried for building, and a bastard limestone for the roads, as also heavy grey slates for roofing houses. The village is agreeably seated on a sunny slope above the Tyne, and has the Newcastle and Carlisle railway running between it and the river. Much of the township belongs to the Carricks, of whom Robert Carrick, Esq., lately built Croft House, a handsome residence on the west side of the village, with a sloping lawn before it towards the road, and having splendid views of the hills on the opposite side of the Tyne. The great tithes are payable to Sir Edward Blackett, and have been commuted for £63. In the township is Whitchester, a Roman station, defended on three sides by deep glens.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.