MATTERDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 10 miles (S. W. by W.) from Penrith; containing 363 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on the east side of an extensive moor, and affords only coarse pasture, with the exception of about 20 acres of inclosed arable and meadow land. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Rector of Greystock. The chapel was erected in 1685. Robert Grisdale, in 1722, built a school, and endowed it with £11 a year.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.