Martinhoe (St. Martin)
MARTINHOE (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwill, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 14 miles (N. E. by N.) from Barnstaple; containing 236 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2425 acres, of which 1265 are common or waste land. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 10. 10.; net income, £109; patron, the Rev. John Pyke.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.