MARTINDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Barton, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 8 miles (S. S. W.) from Penrith; containing 198 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises by measurement 3542 acres of inclosed land, of which 966 are arable, 2480 pasture, and 96 wood; there is also a tract of common, of about 4600 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £43; patron and impropriator, John de Whelpdale, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for an annual rent-charge of £22. A free school has an endowment of £13 a year.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.