Marston-Bigott (St. Leonard)
MARSTON-BIGOTT (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union and hundred of Frome, E. division of Somerset, 2¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Frome; containing 534 inhabitants. This place derives the affix to its name from the Bigott family, to whom the manor for several centuries belonged, and the site of whose ancient mansion is still marked by the moat. The parish comprises about 2000 acres of land, watered by two small rivulets. The scenery is richly diversified: a line of hills extends through the parish from east to west, on each side of which are woods of luxuriant growth; and Marston House, the seat of the Earl of Cork and Orrery, is beautifully situated, overlooking a fertile valley. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 19. 9½., and in the gift of the Earl: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 46 acres. The church was taken down, and rebuilt on another site, by the 7th earl. A room at Gaer Hill, formerly used as a dissenters' meeting-house, has been converted into a chapel; and schools are partly supported by the Boyle family.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.