Marrick (St. Andrew)
MARRICK (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York, 7½ miles (W. S. W.) from Richmond; containing, with the hamlet of Hurst, 648 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 6000 acres, and includes some high moors extending from three to six miles north of the village, which is pleasantly situated on the northern acclivities of Swaledale, and south of the road from Richmond to Reeth. At Hurst are extensive lead-mines and smelt-works, the former supposed to be among the oldest in the kingdom. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £98; patron and impropriator, F. Morley, Esq. The church occupies part of the site of a Benedictine nunnery founded in honour of the Blessed Virgin, by Roger de Asc, about the close of the reign of Stephen, and which at the Dissolution had a revenue of £64. 16. 9. There is a place of worship for dissenters at Hurst.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.