BARMOOR, a township, in the parish of Lowick, union and E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Wooler. In 1417, the lords marchers assembled here, at the head of a force amounting to 100,000 men, against the Scots, who, on hearing of their approach, retreated within their own territory. The English army also encamped in the vicinity prior to the battle of Flodden, on the night after which the English general slept at Barmoor wood. A fair was formerly held at Cross Hills, between this place and Lowick. The tithes have been commuted for £298. 16. 3. payable to the Dean and Chapter of Durham, and £10. 11. 8. to the impropriators.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.