Mapperton (St. Mary)
MAPPERTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Beaminster, hundred of Beaminster-Forum and Redhone, Bridport division of Dorset, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Beaminster; containing 94 inhabitants, and comprising by admeasurement 804 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 1½., and in the gift of H. C. Compton, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £193, and the glebe comprises 51 acres. The church, in 1291 styled a chapel to Netherbury, was rebuilt in 1704, by Richard Broadrep, Esq., and the interior handsomely fitted up.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.