Malton, Old (St. Mary)
MALTON, OLD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and parliamentary borough of Malton, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 1 mile (N. E.) from Malton. The parish is bounded on the south-east by the river Derwent, and the Rye pursues its course on the north: the village is pleasant, and is on the road from Malton to Pickering. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the livings of St. Leonard and St. Michael in Malton; net income, £198; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam; appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The church, extensively restored in 1844, is formed of the remains of a priory founded in 1150, by Eustace Fitz-John, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, for Gilbertine canons, and the revenue of which at the Dissolution amounted to £257. 7. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A free grammar school was founded in the 38th of Henry VIII., by the Archbishop of York, for instruction in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin, with an endowment now amounting to about £100 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.