LOWSIDE-QUARTER, a township, in the parish of St. Bees, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing 299 inhabitants. The township lies between the river Ehen on the east, and the Irish Sea on the west, and contains the venerable remains of Egremont Castle, built soon after the Conquest by William de Meschines, the first baron of Copeland, and still exhibiting traces of strength and grandeur. The township comprises 1940 acres, of which 95 are common or waste. As commutations of the tithes, rent-charges have been awarded amounting to £138.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.