Lovington (St. Thomas à Becket)
LOVINGTON (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Castle-Cary; containing 239 inhabitants, and comprising by admeasurement 799 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, Â£76; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Wells, whose tithes have been commuted for Â£215, and who have a glebe of 14 acres. John Whitehead in 1715 bequeathed land, and James Clarke subsequently gave a house, for a school, the income of which is now about Â£12 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.