Llanvihangel-Juxta-Rogiett (St. Michael)
LLANVIHANGEL-JUXTA-ROGIETT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Chepstow, division of Christchurch, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 7½ miles (S. W. by W.) from the town of Chepstow; containing 44 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 550 acres; the soil is composed of a gravelly loam and clay, and there are quarries of limestone. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 9. 4½., and in the gift of Sir C. Morgan, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £123; the glebe contains 9 acres. The church is in the early English style, and consists of a nave and chancel, with a square embattled tower; at a former period, it had a north aisle, as is apparent from the arches now filled up in the wall, on the north side of which two coffin-lids were discovered a few years since, one displaying the sculptured effigy of a man, in bas-relief, and the other that of a Knight Templar.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.