Llanvapley (St. Mapley)
LLANVAPLEY (St. Mapley), a parish, in the union, division, and hundred of Abergavenny, county of Monmouth, 4 miles (E.) from Abergavenny; containing 124 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the old road from Abergavenny to Monmouth, comprises by measurement 819 acres, of arable and pasture land in nearly equal portions; the soil is chiefly clay, producing good wheat, and the surface is considerably undulated. The river Trothy passes on the east. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 5. 2½., and in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny: the tithes have been commuted for £150, and the glebe comprises 54 acres, with a good parsonage-house. The church is in the early English style. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.