Llantilio-Cresseny, or Llantilio-Grossenny (St. Teilaw)
The living is a vicarage, with that of Penrose annexed, valued in the king's books at £10. 10. 5., and in the patronage of the Bishop, Archdeacon, and Chapter of Llandaff, the appropriators; net income, £270: there is a small parsonage-house, with a glebe of about 10 acres. The church, which is picturesquely situated on an artificial mound, part of the site of an ancient intrenchment, is a handsome cruciform structure of stone, with aisles, and a chapel on the north side of the chancel; it is chiefly in the early style, and has a tower surmounted by a lofty shingled spire, rising from the intersection of the transepts. In the chapel are several curious tombstones with effigies of the Powell family, and in the chancel are neat monuments to the family of Lewis, especially one by Flaxman to the memory of the lady of Mr. Justice Bosanquet: in the churchyard is a stone cross. A chapel of ease, capable of accommodating 180 persons, was erected by subscription, in 1842, at Llanvair-gil-Coed; where are remains of an ancient castle, and where was a grange belonging to the abbey of Dore, in Herefordshire. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists; also a school endowed with £40 per annum from bequests by James and John Powell, in 1645.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.