Llanishen (St. Denis)
LLANISHEN (St. Denis), a parish, in the division of Trelleck, hundred of Raglan, union and county of Monmouth, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Monmouth; containing 307 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the old public road, about midway between Monmouth and Chepstow; and comprises by computation 1374 acres, of which 600 are arable, 712 pasture and meadow, 22 woodland, and the remainder roads or waste. There are numerous stone-quarries; the produce is of excellent quality, and is used for building and paving. The cottagers live in substantial tenements with a portion of land attached, for which they pay a small annual acknowledgment to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £64; patron and impropriator, his Grace, whose tithes have been commuted for £120: the glebe contains 87 acres. The church is very ancient, and belonged to Tintern Abbey. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The rent of 18 acres of land left in 1646, by William Jones, is distributed among aged parishioners.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.