Llangua (St. James)
LLANGUA (St. James), a parish, in the union of Dore, divison and hundred of Skenfreth, county of Monmouth, 11 miles (N. E. by N.) from the town of Abergavenny; containing 99 inhabitants. The parish is separated from Herefordshire by the river Munnow; it consists of about 700 acres, and is intersected by the tramway from Abergavenny to Hereford. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £2. 15. 10., and in the gift of J. L. Scudamore, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £77. 14. The church is an ancient structure. A cell of Black monks here, subordinate to the abbey of Liu, in Normandy, was annexed at the dissolution of alien monasteries to the establishment at Sheen, in Surrey.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.