LINTON, a township, in the parish of Church-Gresley, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 5½ miles (S. S. E.) from Burton; containing 253 inhabitants. It is situated on the Bosworth and Burton, and Hartshorn road, and comprises 883a. 1r. 14p., arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; about 40 acres are uninclosed. The soil is fertile, and the pastures are extremely rich; the chief produce is corn, cheese, and fat-cattle. Each of the farms belongs to a different proprietor. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and other dissenters.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.