Linstead (St. Peter and St. Paul)
LINSTEAD (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Faversham, hundred of Teynham, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 3 miles (S. E.) from Sittingbourne; containing 1050 inhabitants. It comprises 1806a. 2r. 2p., of which about 1260 acres are arable, 200 pasture, 200 wood, and the rest orchards, gardens, &c. A fair for horses and cattle is held at Greenstreet, in the parish, on May 1st. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 11½.; net income, £216; patron, the Archdeacon of Canterbury. Bartholomew Fowle, the last prior of St. Marie Overie, was a native of this place, and received from it the additional name of Linstead.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.