DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Liddington (St. Andrew)

LIDDINGTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, hundred of Wrandike, county of Rutland, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Uppingham; containing 589 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2240 acres: the soil is various, but the greater portion a dark stiff clay, and tolerably fertile; the surface is diversified with hills. The village is pleasantly situated in a valley watered by the river Welland, near which are some rich meadows. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lincoln: the great tithes have been commuted for £216. 11., and the vicarial for £221. At Caldecott is a chapel of ease. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A palace formerly belonging to the bishops of Lincoln, a fine structure in the early English style, with a large hall, having painted windows, has been converted into an hospital for a warden, twelve brethren, and two nurses; the charity was founded in 1600, by Sir Thomas Cecil, Lord Burghley, and is called Jesus' Hospital.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement